Bhapa Ilish is a famous recipe in eastern India! This is a classic Bengali recipe, Ilish Bhapa Jeere Bata Diye (Steamed Ilish with cumin paste) is not common in many Bengali houses as Shorshe Bata Diye Bhapa Ilish.
Ilish Bhapa Jeera bata diye
- 5 Hilsa pieces - 60 gm piece
- 1½ tbsp Cumin seeds - ~ 15 gm or 2 tbsp Cumin powder
- 4-5 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- First, In a bowl, add cumin seed, salt and warm water.
- Give a stir to dilute salt, then soak the cumin seed at least for 30 minutes.
- Next, transfer soaked cumin seed in a grinder jar.
- Add 2-3 green chillies, put the lid on and grind them to make a smooth paste!
- Next take a metal tiffin box with a tight lid, like me, if you don’t have metal tiffin box then use a cake pan, and transfer the cumin, green chilli paste, add in turmeric powder, salt and mustard oil.
- I like to add a little bit of sugar to balance the taste! You can skip the step if you enjoy the pungent flavour.
- Stir the spice mix; then I will add the fish pieces. Make sure the spices well coated on both sides.
- Add about a 1/4 cup of water; you can add less water if you enjoy almost dry curry!
- Add a couple of slit green chillies.
- Cover the pan with foil; I like to wrap the pan twice to secure that the steam cannot escape!
- Let the fish marinate for 10- 15 minutes, then start steaming.
- Next, take a full cooking pot with a lid.
- Pour boiling water.
- Place the pan, cover with the lid.
- Over high heat cook for 5-6 minutes, you will see steam on the lid, then reduce heat to medium-low, cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, wait for 10 minutes.