Without Bengali Sweet Narkel Naru our Pujo celebration is incomplete! Gurer Narkel Naru. The Bengali style Coconut balls are the festive combination of coconut and sugarcane jaggery!
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 3/4 cup gur
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- In a saucepan add in desiccated coconut and water,
- Over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil
- Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid and let the mixture simmer until the coconut softened and water reduced.
- Remove from heat
- In another cooking pot, Add in Jaggery, sugar, and water,
- Set the pot over high heat,
- When the mixture starts melting, reduce the heat to medium low and let it simmer till you get the one string consistency,
- Add coconut to this, and with the help of a wooden spatula, keep mixing till it forms like a dough.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and Add ghee, continue cook for a couple of seconds, then remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- Apply some oil or ghee on your palm
- With the help of a tablespoon take a small portion of the mixture and form a tight ball.
- Continue the same with the rest of the mixture.
When it cooled, you can store them in a glass jar for a week.