Turmeric powder and salt rubbed eggplant pieces deep fried into the hot oil; this is the beauty of the dish. Though I added red chilli powder in this recipe, my Maa doesn’t add red chilli powder; she serves green chillies with it!
If you are calorie conscious, don’t make Begun Bhaja frequently, because deep fried Eggplant absorbs a lot of oil, but when you make please deep fry them, the shallow fry or pan fry will kill the beauty of the dish.
How do you love Begun Bhaja or what is your favourite combinations with Begun Bhaja?
- 1 large Eggplant cut crosswise into thick pieces. ( you will get 5-6 big pieces from one 600gm Eggplant)
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp red Chilli powder( optional)
- ¼ tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil for deep frying ( you can use vegetable oil too)
- Add in Eggplant pieces into a mixing bowl.
- Except for oil, add all the ingredients, give a good rub and set it aside for 10 -15 minutes.
- Heating up Mustard oil in a Korai or deep frying pan over medium heat.
- It’s very important to make sure the oil should be smoky hot.
- Add in one eggplant piece, and you need to hear the sizzling sound to confirm that the oil is exactly ready for Begun Bhaja, then add remaining pieces, do not overcrowd the pan.
- It will take 2-3 minutes to fry each side, when you see the golden colour, flip the other side.
- Give a gentle press to the centre to check if it is soft, which means it’s done.
- With the slotted spoon remove from the oil and hold for 10-15 seconds.
Recipe by: Shyamali Sinha